Coleman fires back at Ritchie, sort of
We have some updates after our earlier post about Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie appearing on MSNBC today.
In addition to video below, Coleman's campaign also released a statement defending themselves against his accusations.
Here is the video:
And here is Coleman's response:
Coleman campaign manager Cullen Sheehan issued a statement calling on Ritchie to apologize for his comments on MSNBC.
"When the Coleman campaign raises legitimate ballot security concerns, over instances such as 32 new ballots appearing in the car of a Minneapolis city official, Mr. Ritchie goes on a national media campaign characterizing our actions as political," Sheehan said in a statement.
"His accusation today that our campaign intends to win 'at any price' is offensive, demands an apology and simply underscores our concerns about his ability to act as an unbiased official in this recount. His statement is not reflective of the objective, non-partisan standards Minnesotans expect and deserve, and which Mr. Ritchie as Secretary of State is sworn to uphold. And we are concerned about the pattern we are seeing."
Funny thing is, MinnPost just dispelled the "forgotten ballots in a car" rumor this afternoon. David Brauer spoke to the Minneapolis elections director who explained this situation and how the false rumor became gasoline for the Republicans.
The "car ballot" story emerged Saturday from the mouth of Coleman lawyer Fritz Knaak, who, according to AP, told reporters, "We were actually told ballots had been riding around in her car for several days, which raised all kinds of integrity questions."
The ballots were in cars because state law mandates precinct counting. An election judge always had custody, and they were never "lost." They were not in vehicles overnight and spent Election Night, and the next several nights, tucked away safely in City Hall.