Canvassing Board lets original ballot judgments stand, campaigns keep fighting for votes
More from Minnesota Independent:
"I understand why these were challenged; these were very close calls," acknowledged Minnesota Supreme Court Chief Justice Eric Magnuson, a member of the canvassing board. "I saw nothing in any of those that gave me cause to change my vote."In other campaign issues, the campaigns along with the Secretary of State are set to ask the Minnesota Supreme Court today to allow them to review wrongfully rejected absentee ballots on Jan. 2, the Pioneer Press says. Happy New Year, Minnesota!
"Obviously we're a little disappointed with what we saw in there," said Coleman attorney Fritz Knaak, following the board's hearing. "We respectfully disagree with some of what the board did." But Knaak expressed optimism that Coleman will ultimately prevail in the contest. "We see the number as much better from our point of view," he said, but declined to provide any specifics. "Our internal count is something that we don't share."
More from the PiPress:
The ballots should be opened and judged at the state level, rather than the county level as the court originally ordered last week, in order to protect the privacy of the absentee voters.The state Canvassing Board is set to meet again Dec. 30th, Jan. 5th, and Jan. 6th. Their last meeting is the same day the new Senate convenes in Washington, D.C. Sorry, D.C. folks, you'll be waiting for awhile before our second senator shows up.
But either campaign has veto power over defining which ballots would be considered mistakenly rejected and therefore sent to the state. The campaigns will veto ballots before Jan. 2.