Second adult surrenders in assault video probe

Categories: Crime
Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for screenshot somalis crop.jpg
A second adult has turned himself in to St. Paul police in the wake of last week's shocking release of a video online showing random assaults on the streets of St. Paul and Minneapolis.

St. Paul police spokesman Sgt. Paul Schnell said Monday that the adult came forward on Friday evening. He was identified and questioned, and then released.

Mohamed Abdi, 19, of Oakdale, was arrested by St. Paul police last week last week in connection with the case, along with an unnamed 17-year-old. Minneapolis police have also arrested two juveniles connected with the video.

St. Paul police also executed a search warrant last week in which they confiscated a camera, computer and cell phone they believe may be linked to the case.

Investigators are still piecing together evidence in the case and no charges have been filed yet, Schnell said.

Abdi was convicted in April of second-degree robbery. The conviction came after Abdi, along with two of his cohorts, accosted two people walking along St. Paul's Summit Avenue. Pointing a "BB-pellet pistol" in their faces, Abdi robbed the couple, according to a police complaint.`  

Police say they have identified all eight people seen in the video, and that numerous people have come forward to say they were victims of the assaults.

Sponsor Content

My Voice Nation Help
0 comments

Now Trending

Minnesota Concert Tickets

Around The Web

From the Vault

 

Loading...