Alonzo Demetrius McCoy indicted in Alisha Neeley's murder
Nineteen-year-old Alonzo Demetrius McCoy has been indicted by a Hennepin County grand jury for his alleged role in the Feb. 26 murder of 17-year-old Alisha Neeley.
Alonzo Demetrius McCoy
Police say she took a bullet in the neck outside a house party on North Humbolt Avenue during an act of gang retaliation, after two men opened fire on the group with which she was walking.
According to the criminal complaint, McCoy is a member of the Tre Tre Crips gang, and Neeley was associating with a member of the BTG street gang believed to have shot and killed a Tre Tre Crips member in January.
Some witnesses at the scene said they recognized McCoy as one of the shooters. Another picked him out from photographs. But according to the complaint, ballistics tests don't tie his gun to the bullet that killed Neeley.
At least four members of the BTG and SUB/Scarface gangs were standing near Neeley when she was shot, and some of them told police they thought the bullets were meant for them.
McCoy was also arrested on March 6 when he brought a .380 caliber handgun to Neeley's funeral at New Salem Church in Minneapolis. Owing to a prior drug conviction, he was prohibited from carrying a handgun. McCoy and another man were also charged in the 2007 murder of 14-year-old Charez Jones, but that case never went to trial.
Alisha Neeley. More photos here.
We took a long look at Neeley's death and her membership in the Ladiis girl gang back in May, talking to her friends and family who said they were ready for a truce in the street violence in North Minneapolis.
- Read: "Alisha Neeley's death leads to girl gang truce."
- Slideshow: Alisha Neeley in pictures.
- Read: Criminal complaint.
Sarah Klouda, the teen coordinator at Oak Park Center, told us then that she'd known the Neeley family since she started her job four years ago. And she said it seemed like Alisha was trying to make a break from the gang scene.
"She was right there in our grasp," Klouda said. "She was on the right track."
2010 Minneapolis Homicides:
- Sept. 17: Christopher de Ronde, 21
- Aug. 14: Charles Kentrell Jones, 17
- Aug. 3: Charles Anthony Means, 21
- July 28: Carl Antoine Miller, 47
- July 25: Gilbert Jordan, 28
- June 21: Cordale Moore, 26
- July 11: Lashon Scott, 27
- July 11: Tirso Cruz Gomez, 24
- July 5: Anthony Titus, 16
- July 2: Lionel Franklin, 38
- June 13: Andrew James Battees, 16
- June 12: Phelandis Depure Jackson, 29
- June 10: Matthew Deon Johnson, 22
- May 29: Cedric Hunter Jr., 18
- May 24: Derrick Gregory Martin, 20
- May 21: Anton Warren, 31
- May 21: Romaze Stevens, 30
- May 4: DeCarl Antonio Starr, 18
- April 28: Amy Terborg, 28
- April 8: Tony Gale, 37
- April 2: Pauline Nash, 42
- March 30: Kenneth Sims, 21
- March 23: Robert Blake Castonguay, 26
- March 17: James E. King Jr., 20
- February 27: Alisha Neely, 17
- February 13: Drew Heinkle, 25
- February 4: Michael Fonta, 45
- January 17: Marvin Ray Maynard, 16
- January 20: Orlando Keith Nunn, 21
- January 8: Walter Lee Dolley Jr., 19
- January 6: Abdifatah Warfa, 28
- January 6: Mohamed Warfa, 30
- January 6: Anwar Mohammed, 31
- January 2: Dontae D. Johnson, 31