Metrodome panel collapses: Damage gets worse
The Metrodome's Teflon roof, already deflated and defeated from the weekend blizzard, tore open a fourth time yesterday.
More big trouble. Another hole opened in the Metrodome roof, following Sunday's collapse (above).
There were workers on the field, but no one was hurt when the panel ripped and another avalanche of unwanted ice and snow cascaded onto the playing field.
That's two close calls.
A worker who was on the playing field early Sunday morning used a fork-lift truck to escape the first deluge.
Clearly, the Metrodome isn't a safe place to be. Snow and ice from the fifth-largest blizzard in the city's history remains trapped on the roof with nowhere to go. And the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission has called a temporary halt to repair work.
It's now anyone's guess as to when the facility will be safely repaired and open. One possible target date is a Monster Jam truck show scheduled for Jan. 22.
Meanwhile, across the river, a small army of worker bees continues to dig out TCF Bank Stadium so that the Vikings have a place to host the Bears on Monday Night Football.
We interviewed some of them on camera. Check out that video here.
The shoveling suffered a snafu as well, however.
The Vikings posted a "Help Wanted" notice on the team's website in the morning, saying snow shovelers would be paid to help get the stadium ready on time.
Photo: Facebook Shoveling out the Bank.
By midday, the U of M's Associate Director of Athletic Communications, Andrew Seeley, was trying to walk back that offer, saying the U needed volunteers, not paid workers.
Finally, by dinner time, he announced a second reversal: Workers will be paid.
- TCF Bank Stadium shoveling video
- Get paid to shovel TCF Stadium for Monday Night Football
- Digging out TCF Bank Stadium: Photo of the day
- 5 funniest blizzard people videos
- Maintenance man escapes Metrodome collapse in fork lift
- Metrodome collapse: Video from inside the stadium
- Metrodome collapse: Video shows roof failure frame-by-frame
- Metrodome collapse: Somebody (or thing) escaped as roof fell
- Metrodome collapse forces Vikings and Giants to Detroit
- Blizzard snow totals in the Twin Cities
- Blizzard socks the Twin Cities: Photos and video
- Twin Cities Blizzard 12/11/10: Your pictures