Michele Bachmann not qualified to be president, says former chief of staff Ron Carey
|Bachmann: Not ready for prime time, according to her former chief of staff.|
Now, as Bachmann gets ready to deliver an important speech this morning to conservatives in Washington, D.C., he says that she isn't electable, and isn't qualified to be president.
"While she passes the conservative test, my opinion from my association with her is she's not going to be an electable candidate for us," he told AP. "And even if she were elected, I don't believe she would be ready for the position of the president of the United States."
She's making trips to Iowa.
She did an end-run around GOP leaders and delivered her own State of the Union response.
What was Bachmann looking at during Tea Party SOTU Response?
And she's scheduled to deliver the keynote speech this morning at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, D.C.
Carey's lead-in has to sting. It's one thing for her to be mocked for ineptitude on Saturday Night Live, or to have a former Democratic president, Bill Clinton, use an international stage to denounce her as divorced from reality.
Michele Bachmann's worst nightmare: TSA leaks naked body scans of Congresswoman
But Carey was an insider. Carey was the fifth chief of staff in four years on Bachmann's team. He took over in February 2010 from Michelle Marston, who helped engineer Bachman's anti-health-care-reform protest in Washington, D.C. That was the same rally where Sean Hannity was busted by Jon Stewart for a bogus video clip that vastly inflated the size of the crowd.
After Marston's departure, one GOP congressman told Politico that Bachmann couldn't hold on to staff because of her penchant for headlines and fact-challenged rhetoric.
"When your captain's crazy, it's time to find a new ship," the lawmaker said.
More Michele Bachmann Coverage:
- Michele Bachmann wants to be president
- CNN justifies airing Bachmann's SOTU speech
- Michele Bachmann looked into the wrong SOTU camera on purpose
- Michele Bachmann SOTU behind-the-scenes video
- Meghan McCain calls Michele Bachmann "a poor man's Sarah Palin"
- Michele Bachmann retreats from cutting war veterans' benefits
- Bachmann promotes video smear of Planned Parenthood
- Bill Clinton calls Michele Bachmann divorced from reality on healthcare
- Michele Bachmann misleads supporters about CDC abortion data
- Michele Bachmann flunks slavery history again