Tim Pawlenty second in Arizona tea party poll
|Tim Pawlenty, tea party hero|
He keynoted a steeped-in-tea confab over the weekend in Arizona called the American Policy Summit, and convention-goers rewarded him with second place in their straw poll.
We like to think his hilariously over-the-top movie trailers played a role, too.
The guy who won is a businessman named Herman Cain, who made millions by founding Godfather's Pizza and now has a radio show.
Pawlenty swung hard for the right-field fence in his Saturday speech:
|Tim Pawlenty wooed the tea party this weekend in Arizona.|
"I'm here today to say, 'Thank you.' Thank you for standing up to the ruling class. Thank you for standing up to the liberal power brokers, guardians of the status quo, and the royal triangle of greed: big government, big unions, and big bailed-out businesses."
That kind of talk placed him higher than Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, and the day's big loser, Michele Bachmann, the queen of the tea party:
1. Radio host and former businessman Herman Cain: 22 percent
2. Former Minnesota Republican governor Tim Pawlenty: 16 percent
3. Texas Congressman Ron Paul: 15 percent
4. Former Alaska Republican governor Sarah Palin: 10 percent
5. Former Massachusetts Republican governor Mitt Romney: 6.5 percent
6. Minnesota Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann: 5.6 percent
Last week, Gallup released a national poll of Republican voters suggesting that while T-Paw and Bachmann are favorites in some conservative circles, it's a different story when a broader cross section of primary voters comes into play. In that poll, Bachmann scored 4 percent support, Pawlenty 3 percent.
More on Tim Pawlenty, Action Hero:
- Pawlenty Reloaded: 2 Pawlenty 2 Furious
- Tim Pawlenty's new movie trailer is awesomely over-the-top
- Tim Pawlenty's potential blockbusters: T-Pocalypse Now, Bravepaw, & more
More Tim Pawlenty coverage:
- Michele Bachmann and Tim Pawlenty also-rans in Gallup poll
- Pawlenty chides Obama for not denouncing Libya violence that Obama already denounced
- Tim Pawlenty is National Review's cover boy
- Tim Pawlenty and Michele Bachmann shellacked in CPAC poll
- Tim Pawlenty CPAC debt ceiling talk at odds with John Boehner
- Tim Pawlenty at CPAC: Twitter highlights
- Tim Pawlenty would rather defund the military than let gays in