2C-E: One dead, 10 hospitalized after mass drug overdose in Blaine
|2C-1, the drug being blamed for the overdoses.|
One of the teenagers, a 19-year-old boy, is already dead.
The drug being blamed for the overdoses, 2C-E, is the chemical cousin of a relatively new, synthetic hallucinogen called 2C-I. Since it first surfaced in the early 2000s, 2C-I built a reputation as a short-acting club drug that can be ingested in pill or powder form. Until now, no deaths have been linked to 2C-I and massive overdoses have been survived.
|2C-E can be taken in gel caps.|
"It's not on any controlled substance tables in the United States," he says. "I guess you wouldn't even call it a drug. It's kind of marketed as a research chemical or something like that."
Reports indicate that the party guests were able to order the drug online and started feeling ill after ingesting it.
After police went to the house in Blaine, several party guests fled the scene, only to succumb to the effects of the drug. Officers spent some time trying to round everyone up. The victims are between the ages of 16 and 21, and at least two are in high school.
The 19-year-old boy died earlier today, and two people are in critical condition. Authorities are withholding the names of the victims.
Sommer says the ability to legally purchase designer drugs like 2C-E is becoming more of a problem.
"We're told that amongst teens, these kind of substances are thought to be somewhat safe because they're seemingly legal," says Sommer. "They're far from safe."
Continuing Coverage of 2C-E