Obama thrashes Pawlenty in NBC-Wall Street Journal poll
If the presidential election were held today, Barack Obama would beat Tim Pawlenty in a landslide, 50-31 percent, according to a new poll from the Wall Street Journal and NBC News.
T-Paw would likely be spared that humiliation, though, because he'd never make it past the GOP primaries.
The same poll shows him a distant also-ran with just 3 percent support among Republicans thought to be considering a White House run. Fox Newser Mike Huckabee took top honors there:
Time to turn the boat around and head back down the river?
- Mike Huckabee: 25%
- Mitt Romney 21%
- Sarah Palin 12%
- Newt Gingrich 13%
- Ron Paul 6%
- Tim Pawlenty 3%
- Mitch Daniels 3%
- Rick Santorum 2%
- Jon Huntsman 1%
- Haley Barbour -
The results sound an awful lot like a recent Gallup poll that also found Huckabee topping the possible primary contenders, with Pawlenty coming in seventh -- behind Michele Bachmann, who wasn't mentioned in the NBC/Wall Street Journal poll.
And here's something for T-Paw's PR shop to consider as he nears a decision about whether or not to get into the race: Almost two-thirds of Americans, 61 percent, have no idea who he is. Of those, just 3 percent have a "very positive" opinion about him.
What does our former governor have to do to get noticed? He's tried a book tour, tea parties, epic campaign ads. We'd suggest his own reality series: "Tim Pawlenty's Hockey Rinks."
But people just aren't buying whatever it is he's selling. As conservative columnist Jonah Goldberg wrote the other day, Pawlenty has "the audacity of poo."
Pawlenty's problem remains: He's boring. He's so boring he could have replaced James Franco at the Oscars without making the awards any more interesting. And he's unknown. It is very difficult for dull candidates to become well-known candidates while remaining dull. Hence Pawlenty's audacity of "poo."
More on Tim Pawlenty
- Pawlenty will run for president or get off the pot in two weeks
- Tim Pawlenty Episode III: Revenge of the Tea Party [VIDEO]
- Pawlenty Reloaded: 2 Pawlenty 2 Furious [VIDEO]
- Tim Pawlenty's new movie trailer is awesomely over-the-top [VIDEO]
- Pawlenty blockbusters: T-Pocalypse Now, Bravepaw, & more [SLIDESHOW]
- Pawlenty chides Obama for not denouncing Libya violence that Obama already denounced
- Tim Pawlenty is National Review's cover boy
- Tim Pawlenty and Michele Bachmann shellacked in CPAC poll