Floyd David Whitfield named second tornado casualty
|Cleanup from the storm continues.|
He was a god-fearing man, and on his way home from church on Sunday when the tornado struck. The howling winds brought a tree down on his minivan near the intersection of Fremont and 37th Avenues North, killing him instantly but sparing his 10-year-old nephew, Jeremiah Anderson.
It was more than an hour after the accident before a passerby saw the crushed minivan, and helped extricate the young boy from the wreckage.
The other victim Sunday was Rob MacIntyre, 53, who died from a heart attack as he tried to help his north Minneapolis neighbors dig out of the debris.
The city continues recovery efforts today in the north Minneapolis neighborhoods where the tornado struck, while City Council members are set to meet in emergency session to approve a disaster declaration.
More on the tornado:
- Minneapolis tornado kills one person, rips up homes
- Twin Cities tornado damage 2011: Your photos
- Minneapolis tornado: Videos from the scene
- Pawlenty strangely silent on tornado damage to Minnesota
- Minneapolis tornado "exclusion zone" map and details
- Rybak declares disaster, City Council plans emergency meeting
- Xcel says 11,000 tornado victims still without power
- Rob MacIntyre, Raptor Resource Project director, ID'd as tornado victim
- How to help tornado victims in North Minneapolis