How to help tornado victims in north Minneapolis [UPDATES]
|North Minneapolis Recovery Fund on GiveMN.org|
|A special matching-grant fund has been set up for NOMI tornado victims|
The Minneapolis Foundation has set up a specific fund for tornado victims called Minnesota Helps--North Minneapolis Recovery Fund that you can donate to online. Money donated to the fund will cover basic needs like food and shelter, as well as longer-term needs, including counseling and business support.
"We want this fund to be very responsive to the immediate need, and also look at the long-term need," says Jo-Anne Stately, director of grant-making and special projects at the Minneapolis Foundation.
Donations can also be made to the Red Cross of Minnesota, which has set up a shelter for tornado victims.
The Salvation Army of North Dakota and Minnesota served 800 meals yesterday from its mobile kitchens to people displaced by the tornado in Fridley, St. Louis Park, and north Minneapolis. They could use some extra cash, too.
Update #1: Cross Connections, 1823 Emerson Ave. N. is a volunteer effort coordinated by Urban Homeworks, Sanctuary CDC and Minneapolis Council of Churches. Volunteers sign a waiver and are given transportation and work assignments. If you are interested, please call Heidi at 612.529.6542.
Update #2: KMOJ Radio is accepting donations of non-perishable food items, clothing, and bottled water at the the lower level of its studios in the Five Points Building on West Broadway Avenue and Penn Avenue North. Call 612.377.3456.
Update #3: Dimension Sounds and Wilson Barbers, 1109 W. Broadway, are sponsoring a drop-off relief bank starting Tuesday from 11 am. to 6 pm. Non-perishible items only: canned goods, bottled water, clothing etc. Monetary donations will be accepted only for the Red Cross. Visit Wilson Barbers on Facebook, or call 612.558.5588 for more information or offers to volunteer.
More on the tornado:
- Minneapolis tornado kills one person, rips up homes
- Twin Cities tornado damage 2011: Your photos
- Minneapolis tornado: Videos from the scene
- Pawlenty strangely silent on tornado damage to Minnesota
- Minneapolis tornado "exclusion zone" map and details
- Rybak declares disaster, City Council plans emergency meeting
- Xcel says 11,000 tornado victims still without power
- Rob MacIntyre, Raptor Resource Project director, ID'd as tornado victim
- How to help tornado victims in North Minneapolis