Tornado assistance today: Project Connect
Minneapolis and Hennepin County officials have established a one-day tornado assistance center aimed at helping families knocked sideways by Sunday's tornado.
Tony Webster Need assistance? Buses are running to a special event at the Minneapolis Convention Center today run by the city and county.
Project Connect will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today at the Minneapolis Convention Center. Here's what it will offer:
- Emergency financial assistance, Food Support replacement, clothing vouchers and emergency supplies.
- Housing and shelter resources.
- Mental health care for dealing with the after effects of a traumatic event.
- Legal assistance for issues related to the storm, such as understanding your rights if your rental property is no longer habitable.
Bus transportation will be offered with hourly trips starting at 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. from these stops:
- The Family Assistance Center, 1025 Broadway St. NE
- Pilot City at 1315 Penn Ave. N.
- Cub Foods at 701 W. Broadway
How you can help: Whatever you do, don't try to make your own way to North Minneapolis. Your heart may be in the right place, but you'll be in the way. Give money via the Minneapolis Foundation, Salvation Army and Red Cross. [DETAILS] Or, contact Cross Connections, 1823 Emerson Ave. N., a volunteer effort coordinated by Urban Homeworks, Sanctuary CDC and Minneapolis Council of Churches Volunteers. They'll ask you to sign a waiver then give you transportation and work assignments. Call (612) 529-6542.
More on the tornado:
- Minneapolis tornado kills one person, rips up homes
- Twin Cities tornado damage 2011: Your photos
- Minneapolis tornado: Videos from the scene
- Pawlenty strangely silent on tornado damage to Minnesota
- Minneapolis tornado "exclusion zone" map and details
- Rybak declares disaster, City Council plans emergency meeting
- Xcel says 11,000 tornado victims still without power
- Rob MacIntyre, Raptor Resource Project director, ID'd as tornado victim
- How to help tornado victims in North Minneapolis