Sonny Perdue, Joe "You Lie" Wilson join Team Pawlenty
While Michele Bachman's chief operative is calling Sarah Palin names, Tim Pawlenty keeps adding GOP marquee names to his roster.
Perdue and Wilson: Happy Republicans in white shirts and blue ties.
In a couple of moves that ought to endear him to southerners, he scooped up former Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue from the charred wreckage of the Newt Gingrich implosion. And Rep. Joe "You Lie" Wilson has also signed on, perhaps to heckle Barak Obama from the sidelines.
This is good news for Pawlenty, because now he can leave the southernese to the pros, instead of getting caught on tape speaking with a distinctly not-from-St. Paul drawl.
In case you don't remember, Perdue is a guy best known for his fondness of the Confederate flag, his desire to see the Ten Commandments in the Georgia Capitol, and leading Georgia in a prayer for rain during the state's 2007 drough.
And everyone remembers the boorish Wilson yelling, "You lie!" when the president spoke about health care reform to a joint session of Congress in 2009, and said, "The reforms I'm proposing would not apply to those who are here illegally."
PolitiFact busted Wilson later as having his own issues with truth telling. But that's apparently how they like their Republicans in the South, where Pawlenty needs all the help he can get.
Mitt Romney leads the latest Public Policy Polling survey in South Carolina with 27 percent compared to Pawlenty's 4 percent.
The news is even worse in Georgia. Herman Cain is leading the newest poll there with 26 percent, while Pawlenty has just 1 percent support.
Bachmann, meanwhile, is running second in the Georgia poll with 13 percent and fifth in South Carolina with 9 percent.
- Bachmann, Pawlenty losing badly to Obama in latest poll
- Team Pawlenty fires shot at "pain in the ass" Bachmann
- Team Pawlenty hammers "pain in the ass" Bachmann, Part 2
- Tim Pawlenty: "I'm running for president" [VIDEO]
- Pawlenty flunks "tell the truth" presidential speech
- DOA: Pioneer Press runs Tim Pawlenty presidential announcement on obit page
- Pawlenty makes pub crawl joke even though his staffers have DWI arrests
- Pawlenty advised to knock off the "dime store Teddy Roosevelt" act
- Pawlenty and Bachmann not worthy of any office, most Minnesotans tell pollster