WCCO reports Chinatown meat market sells dog instead of duck

Categories: Media, Media beefs
james_schugel1.jpg
WCCO's James Schugel: Enterprising reporter, struggles understanding foreigners.
WCCO's I-Team broke an investigative story on Monday, reporting that a Chinatown meat market in New York City was buying dogs from Minnesota and selling them as food in the Big Apple.

It was the kind of story reporters dream about -- an investigation that could bring down a business, stop a terrible practice, and get everyone involved sent to jail.

There's only one problem. It wasn't exactly true. Actually, it wasn't true at all. And, worse, it was based on the reporter's inability to understand an employee's accent.

Oops.

Now, WCCO has completely scrubbed the story. What story? That dog thing? Oh, yeah. Uhm, early April Fool's?

Since the news of WCCO's colossal mistake broke in the New York Post, the CBS affiliate has disappeared any remnants of the story from its website. Neither the story or a follow-up post still exist, and the video story has also vanished without a trace.

Fortunately, a New York blogger captured some of WCCO reporter James Schugel's enterprising work, as WCCO wrote it up on its website:

The I-TEAM went undercover in New York City to see the Canine Culture Center, but found a meat market at the same address.

And as the I-TEAM found, a worker there says he only sells dogs to eat.
Yes, he almost said that. But in fact, the worker said they only sell "duck." Apparently, through his accent, WCCO heard him say "dog," and did the most reasonable thing: Threw the story right on the air!

As the Post reports, New York state inspectors raided the Dak Cheong Meat Market and didn't find one bit of proof that they were selling dog meat. Chao Fang, an employee at the market, talked to the Post, which somehow correctly understood what he said and quoted him accurately.

"How could we sell dog meat? This isn't China. This isn't Korea," Fang said.

The dog breeder involved, a woman named Kathy Bauk who's from a Minnesota town called New York Mills -- a rather suspiciously named town, wouldn't you say? -- told the Post the whole thing was a mix-up  owing to a mistaken address.

"Father God, strike me down dead if I sold a dog to a meat market to eat," Bauk said.

If you smell something now, fear not. That's not dog meat. Someone's probably just cooking up a libel lawsuit.

My Voice Nation Help
33 comments
Sideways
Sideways

I have been to this Puppy Mill A few times doing work unrelated to dogs. its disgusting and sad, Search Kathy Bauk on Google and see all the horrible things this lady has done, It would not suprise me if she sold dogs for food. "The dog breeder involved, a woman named Kathy Bauk who's from a Minnesota town called New York Mills -- a rather suspiciously named town, wouldn't you say? -- told the Post the whole thing was a mix-up  owing to a mistaken address."

Mn Voter
Mn Voter

Dan Rather Lied and lies are throughout the media. CBS wcco have allowed liars to be promoted. Nothing new - except CBS is showing its racist colors against the chinese. Why is CBS racist against Chinese?

MX
MX

Another liberal throwing the race card. You do realize that Les Moonves (the President and CEO of CBS) has dated Julie Chen (a Chinese-American) since 2000, right? If Les/ CBS is racist, they have a weird way of showing it.

green23
green23

Funny! Mn Voter is a long-time commenter here, and one who is hardly a "liberal". He is a rabid defender of Bachmann and has an odd obsession with Mark Dayton, Amy Klobuchar, Sharia law, and legal immigrant workers.

My favourite quote from this "liberal" - or is it "moderate"? - is this one:

"Anyone voting for a democrat is a war criminal and murderer." http ://tinyurl. com/7lc2nvw - posted as "Mn Voter"

Yeah, Mn Voter is just a moderate, independent guy who posts under about 16 different names so that no one will connect the dots. He's a birther, climate-change denier (who thinks that Gore has "billions"), and Iraq war supporter. Oh, and he thinks bin Laden's killing was faked.

Mark Gisleson
Mark Gisleson

Only one of today's so-called conservatives would think that fucking a Chinese woman makes someone a world citizen. But that's because today's conservatives are anything but, the Republican party having been taken over by the old Southern Democrats (racism, demagoguery, tax cuts for the rich, freedom of certain types of religion only, Wall Street uber alles, etc.). Also, as the head of CBS, isn't Les Moonves worse than Communism with Nazi sprinkles? And didn't Rush Limbaugh accuse Moonves of being gay-married to Dan Rather?

Sorry to be so confused by your post, but the harder I study the modern right, the more confused I get. But that's because I'm paying attention to what you say, and you're not.

Michele Bachmann
Michele Bachmann

MN Voter;  just fuck off please.   No Republican gets to use the word racist.  It's obvious you are so full of shit when it comes to caring about minorities.   You are in the gay, woman, Muslim, Black, Latino bashing party.    Every group of non white non Christian people in this country Republicans hate.   That's why 95% of Black people voted Obama.   That's why every minority group chooses the Democrats over the Republicans because of phony pieces of shit like you.   It's absolutely disgusting that a racist like you even pretends to care about racism.   Seriously fuck off.  If you cared about racism so much you'd blast Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, and Pat Buchannon but you are just a phony jackass.   Honestly shut the fuck up, no one wants to hear your bullshit.  It's just amazing how obviously phony you are.   You lie in every single one of your posts so no one believes your bullshit.  I honestly hope you aren't a veteran cause no one believes that shit either.   You are a pathological lying loser and the quicker you get Alzheimer's and die the better for society you racist phony. 

Mn Voter
Mn Voter

The only member of the KKK was a democrat named Robert Bryd a democrat! I guess he died so the democrat party doesn't have racists anymore?

green23
green23

Mn Voter wrote:" Why is CBS racist against Chinese?"

Please tell us why. I'm anxious to hear another one of your "moderate" conspiracy theories. And then explain why you hate Muslims, but are so open-minded. I know, you are only stockpiling weapons and ammo against the "bad" Muslims, right? And, when you take up your previously-promised armed struggle against "Sharia law", I assume that you will only commit extra-judicial killings in a "moderate" and impartial manner.

And who got "promoted" here? I see nothing in the article about WCCO "promoting liars". Or is scrubbing a story and covering it up considered to be "promotion" in your extreme right-wing world?

Anyone who clicks on your icon will see that you are posting as "Mark Dayton", and will be led directly to a history of all of your crazy, right-wing statements under a multitude of false names. And it will not seem as if you are some kind of defender against racism, either.

I'm not defending WCCO here. I'm just calling out a hypocritical serial liar who has previously promised to kill his fellow Minnesotans based on their religion, and bragged about having the means and skills to do so. This person, who criticises media bias, also criticises CP as "biased" for covering true but embarrassing things about Republicans every chance that he gets. And a person who hates gays, union members, non-Christians, Democrats, and OWS protesters vehemently while portraying himself as open-minded.

Mn Voter
Mn Voter

Promoting sterotypes is racist! CBS is racist. CBS lies! Dan Rather is prime example.I don't hate muslims. I've never said i'd kill anyone based upon their religion (only in self defense), and yes I have the means and tools.Why Mark Gisleson do you hate chinese to believe CBS lies about eating dog? Why Mark Gisleson do you hate black people?Why Mark Gisleson do you want to defend CBS for hating chinese?Why Mark Gisleson is your IQ and age still less than 99?You don't read and you don't have an open mind. You make up assertions as fact - maybe you work for wcco or cbs?  

green23
green23

Your entire "moderate", independent voter act is stale. We have sat through months of your off-topic, crazed, right-wing rants. Who are you trying to fool here?

You are engaging in a feeble and doomed effort to convince people who are unfamiliar with you that you are some kind of disillusioned Democrat who plans to vote Republican 'this time". You hope, by fraud and distortion, to turn CP into some kind of recruitment base for your right-wing agenda.

Yes, it is that obvious.

And, no, I don't work for CBS or WCCO either.

green23
green23

You wrote:"I don't hate muslims. I've never said i'd kill anyone based upon their religion"

Yet you ALSO wrote:

"As far as Sharia-Law, that will be the call to arms for me and millions of others. It will be a bloody civil war that we will win." http ://tinyurl. com/77sruch - posted as "Mn Voter"

Hmmm. Which "Mn Voter" to believe?

Here's a tough one:

"As a long time Republican (strong TParty leanings) we need to know when we have won." http ://tinyurl. com/bvvqny5 - posted as "Mn Voter"

"Nice try you liberal misfit. (by the way, I'm a moderate, voted for McCain and am not a TeaParty person)." http ://tinyurl. com/78ep9gh - posted as "Mn Voter"

As far as "racism" goes, you completely dismissed the idea that racism even exists any more, and that people who invoke the word are the real racists:

"That old tired "genocide thing " belongs in the trash heap of history. Along with Racism. The country has the 1st black president, the #1 entertainer "Oprah" who makes billions. It is long past time making me pay for past injustice that I had nothing to do with. Your turning me into a Racist."http ://tinyurl. com/7ntby3m - posted as "Mn Neutral"

As always, anyone who goes to those links can verify that today's "Mn Voter" is the same person by clicking on the icon next to the comment. You will be brought immediately to Mn Voter's current comments here.

This is because they are the same person.

green23
green23

Mn Voter wrote:"I don't hate muslims. I've never said i'd kill anyone based upon their religion"

Yet you also wrote:

"As far as Sharia-Law, that will be the call to arms for me and millions of others. It will be a bloody civil war that we will win."http://tinyurl.com/77sruch - posted as "Mn Voter"

Mark Gisleson
Mark Gisleson

Since City Pages refuses to remove your libelous and defamatory comment, I guess I'll insert my usual rant about anonymous cowards who attack individuals for disagreeing with them over movement politics.

No, I do not work for WCCO or CBS, and in fact just criticized them but I did so sarcastically so my apologies for writing something that went over your pointed little head. What I don't understand is how you inverted my criticism into support.

I'm astonished that you discovered my true IQ score. Yes, I am the biggest 99 IQ overachiever ever.

I do not hate black people, Chinese people or even Les Moonves. I do believe some people eat dog. I for one have. Lots of people have. Only a religiously retarded xenophobe would have a problem with that, unless, of course, you're a vegan PETA activist.

Your comments about muslims and killing people have nothing to do with any comment I made, but then again your comments do not in any intelligible way address any points I have made. Through your comments you have revealed yourself to be an idiot, a hyper-demagogue, an anonymous coward, and did I say idiot?

Mono
Mono

Schugel nice career move!!!!!  I'm sure WCCO will give you a pass on this one..... not.I hope this oversight follows you throughout your carreer. How provincial are you not to take in and investigate thoroughly a story like this? You need to know there's a world out there that extends beyond Minnesota.  Just another local reporter who thinks a sensational racist story like this will garner attention. It may work here but not beyond the upper midwest.  COME ON WCCO  A WHOLE SEGMENT ON DOG MEAT??????  Get rid of this guy..

Tranplanted New Yorker

Snoop
Snoop

Not just the reporter, the dam editor who allowed the story to air as well!

MX
MX

There is also a world outside of NY as well, why do I give a fuck if you are a "transplanted" out-of-towner from NY? New Yorkers are the most smug people in the country, including assuming everyone is on eastern time. Calling the kettle black?

Deborah Howard
Deborah Howard

www.vimeo/com/18886707 CAPS vs. Bauck, How a Small Nonprofit Brought Down a Large Puppy MillBauck isn't just any dog breeder.  She was one of the largest USDA licensed dog brokers and breeders in the country and the largest in Minnesota.  Based on the Companion Animal Protection Society's undercover employment, she was convicted of animal cruelty, which resulted in her license termination.  She was selling illegally to pet shops in NYC and on Long Island, included a fabricated pet shop called Canine Culture Center, which is the same address as the meat market.  Lying on interstate health certificates is a federal offense.  She used her maiden name and a pet shop name on the certificates, which is fraud.  We turned over our most recent investigative findings to USDA, who then revoked her license for good and permanently disqualified her and family members from every applying for a license again.

The Post article was inaccurate.  She didn't sell just eight Huskies to this address, which she claims was a mistake (she said it was supposed to be the address of a pet shop owner's home - now why would she ship to a home instead of the store?).  She sold 168 dogs through 12 shipments using this address on East Broadway in NYC every time. 

For more information:  www.caps-web.org

dvh123
dvh123

So is it illegal to eat dog in the U.S.?

Research
Research

There was an episode of that guy show on Tru Tv where they said it's not illegal.  I couldn't find anywhere to buy dog meat.  Tried for a while.  I'm always down to try a new, edible dish once.  I'm sure dog is delicious.  Imma try to find some dog.

Rupert
Rupert

it's that liberal left media, trying to convince us that the evil republicans are feeding us dogs and jumping on the story.....

Tonkarunguy
Tonkarunguy

Okay, I'm probably going to get flamed for this but here it goes.... I currently live in China, a 3rd tier city with very little western influence.  Dog here is a popular meat amongst the working class in my city, not because the Chinese cant afford pork or beef just because people actually like it and haven't been introduced to the stigma that dog meat is somehow "unclean" and really, what's the difference? we eat pigs, cows, goats lamb and so on.  The only reason this makes news is because people have a sigma.  Granted growing up in the west I also have this stigma attached for my own personal consumption, I'm not going out of my way to eat dog but if I'm served dog at a dinner I will show my respect to my host and eat some (yes, I'm admitting that I've eaten dog).  So what I'm in the end trying to say is that, people in the world eat dog, its just their culture, our culture is to eat all the meat we eat. This bit should have never been news. End of story.

Craigs
Craigs

Thank you sir! I've also had dog when I travelled to other countries out of respect for my hosts. Nothing is wrong with eating a dog (that wasn't your pet). It's like a breaking news report about an American who ate beef in India. I'm sure some Indians would be appalled since the cow is sacred to them. However to Americans, it's considered normal daily fare. Just because your customs are different from someone else's doesn't make them vulgar or crude. As long as you're not hurting someone or hurting yourself, live and let live in respect.

Dave T
Dave T

Great job plagiarizing the New York Post. 

FenGar
FenGar

I think the word you're looking for is "quoting". Plagiarism is defined as the act of using and passing off someone else's writing or speech as one's own. Unlike my definition (which, incidentally, I rephrased from wiktionary) the article explicitly states where the information is coming from, and even links to the article thus it isn't plagiarism.

Mark Gisleson
Mark Gisleson

How very disappointing. I was starting to write down the name of this market because I thought, "how great to be able to buy some dog meat next time I'm in NYC."

Duck? You can buy duck anywhere. A good, tender puppy, otoh, is hard to find.

BlackhawkBenGreen
BlackhawkBenGreen

I think it is funny how China probably produces at least 30 perent of our consumer goods and bankrolls a lot of US's deficit spending yet they are talked about like they are barbarians. I may not eat dog, but I don't look down on people who do (which I think is an exaggerated stereotype). It is amusing that our culture loves to talk about diversity, but in reality actually despises it. Mainstream thought is you must live in a  secular democracy or you're uncivilized.

Michele Bachmann
Michele Bachmann

Nice fair and balanced reporting there City Pages, you Liberals will never learn.   Why didn't you include what Mr. Schugel said to the Chinese business owners?  I know for a fact he said "Ahhh so Honorable Chinaman!   Me so sorry!   Me love you long time!"   The real story is what jerks those Chinese were because they were somehow still offended after the apology.   Minorities are the true racists, just ask Fox News. 

ConceptVBS
ConceptVBS

You say all those harsh words and yet you call minorities a "racist"?

Hypocrite much?

MX
MX

The New York Post if owned by News Corp. which also owns Fox news.......

Albatross
Albatross

I bet the reporters at WCCO feel like a bunch of fog-ups.

Now Trending

Minnesota Concert Tickets

From the Vault

 

Loading...