One month after Dayton vetoes bill, Linwood man nearly kills himself with illegal fireworks
|Saturday night, a bomb squad had to remove a live firework from a Linwood man's torn-open heart.|
Late last month, Gov. Mark Dayton vetoed a bill that would've allowed for the sale and use of a wide array of consumer fireworks in Minnesota, including aerial rockets and firecrackers. In his veto letter, Dayton wrote that it's "government's foremost responsibility to protect the safety and well-being of its citizens."
Well, last Saturday night, a 31-year-old Linwood Township man could've used a little protection. He blew his heart open and is in critical condition after injuring himself with an illegal firework.
According to the Pioneer Press, around 9 p.m. Saturday, the man placed two rounds in a mortar tube and was holding it when the first round shot up and exploded in the air as intended. The other round, however, shot out the back of the tube and ripped open his chest.
Said Anoka County sheriff's spokesman Paul Sommer: "It was almost like it was fired out of a gun."
Witnesses called 911, and the man was transported to Regions Hospital in St. Paul. While medical staff was operating on his wound, they noticed that the unexploded round was still lodged in his chest. Eventually, the bomb squad was called in to remove the live round from the man's somehow-still-beating heart.
The horrible accident is presumably exactly what the governor was worried about when he said "no thanks" to the legislature's attempt to legalize powerful fireworks.