Student's cell phone suddenly explodes, burning his leg and causing classroom evacuation

Categories: Scary , Technology
burning phone rect.jpeg
Image by Tatiana Craine -- photo from ceriseyyy's Flickr
A battery fire engulfed a Rochester student's pants.
Earlier today, a student at Kellogg Middle School in Rochester was injured when his cell phone suddenly combusted, burning his leg.

SEE ALSO: Massive Uptown fire engulfs building near Lake Street and Irving Avenue [PHOTOS] [VIDEO]

The classroom where the incident occurred was evacuated, and in an audio message delivered to parents, Kellogg Principal Dwight Jennings asked them to monitor their children for sulfur poisoning.

Here's a partial transcript of Jennings's message (the audio was uploaded to the web by the Rochester Post Bulletin):
During our first hour class today, a student's cell phone battery exploded, catching fire. The battery actually burned a hole through the student's pants pocket, burning him on the leg, and left a burn mark on the floor of the hallway. The student received medical attention and hopefully will return to school very soon. [Jennings added that the classroom was evacuated.]

Windows in that classroom were opened to get smoke out and to let fresh air in and to try and dissipate the odor that was left by the burning battery. The incident however still left a lingering smell -- odor in the entire building. We have been advised by Mayo Clinic to advise parents to closely monitor their children for after-effects... Students reporting lingering burning sensation[s] in their throat should be seen by a medical doctor because of the burning sulfur in the battery.
Who knew a seemingly harmless cell phone was capable of causing so much damage and chaos?


Advertisement

My Voice Nation Help
16 comments
swmnguy
swmnguy topcommenter

Rechargeable batteries seem to be an offense against nature.  The Lithium-Ion batteries are the best out there in terms of recharge cycles and power, but every so often, they just catch on fire.  The older Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries are safer but less powerful and don't last as long, and the even older Nickel-Cadmium batteries are safer still, but even shorter-lived. All of these batteries are pretty darned toxic, too.

The long and the short of it is, cell phone batteries are mostly Li-ion anymore and they're great--until they catch fire in your pants pocket.  I guess it's best to have an external holster.

Joani Van Demark
Joani Van Demark

I'm surprised the poor kid didn't get suspended due to some Zero Tolerance policy

Sammy L Cater
Sammy L Cater

um wheres the rest of the story? as in, how.... whats that saying where,when,how and why.....

Bill Seurer
Bill Seurer

Help! Help! My britches are burning!! I hope the kid is OK, that must have been frightening.

Jean Claude Cau
Jean Claude Cau

Damn, I knew those clearanced Boeing 787 branded cell phones would bite ya in the ass.

A1batross
A1batross

Good thing this didn't happen at Minneapolis' South High School or it would have been blamed on racial tensions.

Bob Alberti
Bob Alberti

Good thing it didn't happen in South High School or they would have blamed this on race.

Eldon Hagen
Eldon Hagen

Next time...he'll leave his cell phone at home!!!

p.lindberg
p.lindberg

@Joani Van Demark  - right?!!  I totally agree with you!!


MotherJones
MotherJones

@Bob Alberti  Are you really that high on drugs?

Now Trending

Minnesota Concert Tickets

From the Vault

 

Loading...