St. Cloud State and MSU-Mankato rank among universities with worst professors, study says
|Image by Tatiana Craine|
|Both of these MnSCU schools have proud hockey traditions, but aren't necessarily known for academics.|
SEE ALSO: Jim Fetzer, UMD professor emeritus, thinks U.S. government was behind Newtown shooting
The list is based on data culled from RateMyProfessors.com, which allows students to rate professors based on helpfulness, clarify, and easiness, then combines the helpfulness and clarify metrics for an overall score.
According to the list, St. Cloud State has the eighth-worst professors, while MSU-Mankato has the 13th-worst. The Midwest as a whole could apparently use an infusion of professorial talent -- 11 of the schools on the list are from our region.
Here's the full 25 list, with the university with the worst professors at the top:
1. U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (NY)
2. Michigan Technological University
3. U.S. Coast Guard Academy (CT)
4. Milwaukee School of Engineering
5. New Jersey Institute of Technology
6. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (NY)
7. Widener University (PA)
8. St. Cloud State
9. Bentley University (MA)
10. Indiana State University
11. Worcester Polytechnic Institute (MA)
12. Central Michigan University
14. Pace University (NY)
15. Stevens Institute of Technology (NJ)
16. Seton Hall University (NJ)
17. Westminster College (PA)
18. Howard University (DC)
19. Iowa State University
20. University of Toledo (OH)
21. Truman State University (MO)
22. Illinois State University
23. University of Connecticut
24. Oregon Institute of Technology
25. University of Maryland
While we're surprised to see both SCSU and MSU on the list, we're equally surprised to learn that Rate My Professors still exists. We thought it went the way of flip phones and Myspace, so take this ranking for what it's worth.
-- Follow Aaron Rupar on Twitter at @atrupar. Got a tip? Drop him a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.