Kenwood neighborhood in Minneapolis on list of 10 great places in America
|Home on Kenwood Parkway that was used in establishing shots of the Mary Tyler Moore Show|
"Its residents have a deep appreciation of their neighborhood's history and assets and just as strong a desire to honor and protect them," the APA website explains.
SEE ALSO: Twin Cities rated the most healthy and fit metro for the third year in a row
To back up that claim, planners highlighted Kenwood's history of scrutinizing any plans to disrupt the natural landscape. One notable example was the opposition to converting the water tower -- now a landmark -- into condominiums.
The latest source of contention is a proposed light rail station next to Kenwood Park. Planners were impressed by what they saw as the neighborhood's concern to keep the design consistent with the surroundings while mitigating light and noise pollution and traffic.
Other neighborhoods that made the APA's list:
- Chinatown, San Francisco, California
- Downtown Norwich/Chelsea Landing, Norwich, Connecticut
- Downtown Decatur, Decatur, Georgia
- Central Street Neighborhood, Evanston, Illinois
- Downtown Mason City, Iowa
- Historic Licking Riverside, Covington, Kentucky
- Beaufort Historic District, South Carolina
- West Freemason, Norfolk, Virginia
- Williamson Marquette, Madison, Wisconsin
One thing Kenwood has that these neighborhoods don't? That's right: the house used in the establishing shots of the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
-- Email Jesse Marx at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter at @marxjesse