Ray Widstrand, St. Paul gang beating victim, undergoes emergency brain surgery

Widstrand endured at least two brain surgeries in the days after he was beaten by a group of as many as 40 teens. Today, he underwent another.
More than four months after he was beaten to the brink of death by a mob of teenagers near the intersection of Payne and Minnehaha avenues in east St. Paul, 27-year-old Ray Widstrand was rushed to Regions Hospital for emergency brain surgery.

THE BACKSTORY: Ray Widstrand, St. Paul gang beating victim, is recovering... slowly

Widstrand's recovery was seemingly progressing surely, albeit slowly, but his family is again asking for prayers after pressure he was feeling in his head resulted in Widstrand undergoing a craniotomy this morning.

An entry published today on Widstrand's CaringBridge page provides some details:
Please keep Ray in your thoughts and prayers this morning. Ray went back to Regions last night after feeling more pressure on the right side of his head. This morning, we were told that Ray's body is rejecting the bone flaps that were put back in on November 6th. Doctors have rushed Ray to the ER, where they will do an emergency craniotomy this morning. This surgery will take around four hours. We will update everyone after the surgery, but for now please keep Ray in your prayers!
One of the two previous entries on Widstrand's CaringBridge page published this month was actually written by him. In it, he tells readers, "Happy Holidays from my family to yours, thanks again for all the support and wishes." The other entry, written by one of Ray's friends or family members, details his slow recovery.

"Ray has always been fiercely independent, so he has naturally been frustrated by the slow incremental steps he has to take in his recovery," that entry says. "Ray's healing is still ongoing."

h/t -- Pioneer Press

-- Follow Aaron Rupar on Twitter at @atrupar. Got a tip? Drop him a line at arupar@citypages.com.

Sponsor Content

Now Trending

Minnesota Concert Tickets

From the Vault