50 Reasons Minnesota is the best state in America
|Thanks, we're happy to be here|
That actually makes us the 6th Best, which isn't half bad, except that it's the blog equivalent of "damning with faint praise."
Big surprise: Gawker chose New York as the Best--relying on nepotism over logic and reminding us of all the times the Yankees beat the Twins.
But Gawker's evaluation was clearly performed by someone who never actually visited Minnesota--at best, they shopped at Mall of America during a layover between LA and NYC. Those of us who live here can tell you quite a few more advantages to living in flyover country (including: "no earthquakes").
Here are 50 Reasons Minnesota is the Best State in America. Feel free to add your own in the comments.
|The Oregon Trail, invented by 3 Minnesotans|
49. Thanks to the Hold Steady, Brooklyn hipsters are envious of our old haunts.
48. Some of the world's toughest fighters call Minnesota home, including Brock Lesnar.
47. We've hosted the Nationals for gymnastics twice in the past five years.
46. Still the only state to elect a professional wrestler as governor.
45. Jim Thome's 600.
44. Black Sabbath's first single was a cover of "Evil Woman" by Minneapolis's own Crow.
43. We're the birthplace of Zubaz.
42. We're home to Target, a major convenience for shoppers everywhere.
|Photo by Jason Derusha|
|A glorious Zubaz sighting|
40. The Triple Rock Social Club -- for music itinerary and menu alike.
39. We're the birthplace of the original Zombie Pub Crawl.
38. Nationally renowned artists Alec Soth and Wing Young Huie are from Minnesota.
37. We excel at relaxing: everyone has a cabin at the lake.
36. Our huge selection of quality locally-made ice cream--Sebastian Joe's, Pumphouse Creamery, Izzy's, Crema Cafe, Grand Ole Creamery--probably beats every major city in the U.S.
35. We have the best, most plentiful cross-country ski trails of any urban area in the nation.
34. It's not too expensive to live here, and with 20 Fortune 500 companies in the state, there are also plenty of jobs.
|Corndogs at the Minnesota State Fair |
Photo by Kathy Easthagen
33. The MN State Fair is the largest 12-day event in North America.
32. The continued existence of Al's Breakfast.
31. We're the hipster state.