50 Shades of Minnesota: 50 reasons why Minnesota is sexy
|B Fresh Photography|
|Jean Bardot's Fetish Ball 2011|
So, Hennepin County readers like their BDSM literotica. Which could be why James, the breakout British author behind Grey and the other two books that round out its trilogy, included the Edina Barnes & Noble on a mini-tour of six U.S. cities this month. (Her other stops: Houston, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles).
Feverish fans can start lining up at 9 a.m. on Thursday in order to ensure a wristband to James's 7 p.m. signing, and stay tuned to see how many desperate housewives of Edina storm the bookstore (the trilogy's main readership is married women over 30). But while we wait for the queen of "Mommy Porn," there are plenty of places in our state that would put Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey, the star couple in the 50 Shades series, to... if not shame, than at least to greater pleasure.
Here's our list of the 50 sexiest things about Minnesota. Think we missed something? Please tell us in the comments. Sexiness is worth sharing.
- "Fifty Shades of Grey" most popular book in Hennepin libraries, banned in Fond du Lac
- 50 Reasons Minnesota is the best state in America
- 50 Fun Things to Do in Minnesota
- 50 Reasons to love Minneapolis/St. Paul
50. Cheap date nights at Bryant-Lake Bowl and Red Stag
49. KDWB's annual ladies-only booty cruise features male strippers and everyone's favorite radio personality, Dave Ryan. Fights have been known to break out as the booze-fueled boat floats down the St. Croix River.
48. Get your aphrodisiac fix with Oyster Happy Hour at Stella's.
47. Local designer Samantha Rei's Lolita-inspired fashions.
46. The U studies sex. Thanks to the researchers at our major public university, we know that ovulating women buy sexier clothes and that young women get more vain during recessions. Gotta attract mates somehow.
45. Joan Vorderbruggen's handmade clothing line, Lollycopter, is part vintage, part green, and all feminine. The designs include up-cycled slips embellished with everything from
crystals to beading to satin bows. Plus, Vorderbruggen works on the award-winning window displays at sex shop Smitten Kitten (see: #5). There's also the answer she gave when interviewed for our 100 Creatives series:
You are stuck on a desert island. However, for reasons too complicated to explain, you are allowed to pack a suitcase first. What clothing items do you pack?
"I'd... bring a soft, cotton, sequined sari that I could wear as a dress, skirt, or as a shimmering headdress as I run naked in the night; a burqa to keep me cool and prevent my skin from burning; and a USA flag string bikini for when I'm feeling downright nasty!"
|B Fresh Photography|
|Opening night at the Playful Peacock Showgirl Academy (#13).|
43. Lindsey Vonn. Our star local skier swapped winter sports gear for bikinis when she modeled for Sports Illustrated's annual swimsuit issue in 2010. This year, she was still the most-searched Olympian on Yahoo!
42. When you're talking yourself into approaching that interesting stranger across the bar, you can get your liquid courage from locally brewed beer, including Surly Furious, the best IPA around. And that local beer industry: Bucking stereotypes, Minnesota women are active in it. Gender equality, sexy!
41. The Kissing Room at the Local on Nicollet Mall. Per the bar's website, this back room "was a broom closet until ideas were exchanged to the contrary." Now, it offers two dim red lamps and a comfortable couch for whiskey-drunk strangers (or private parties).
40. Michele Bachmann. Politics are subjective, but you know what's objective? Beauty rankings. D.C. newspaper The Hill named Bachmann the country's most beautiful elected official in the 2012 edition of its annual list.
39. Jean Bardot's Fetish Ball.