Mpls Farmers Market soup contest's winning recipe
Facebook fans of the Minneapolis Farmers Market fans chose Shannon Meyer's Butternut Squash, Chicken and Black Bean Soup as the winner of the Market's first-ever Best Soup contest. The soup is made from several Farmers Market ingredients--we'll list it here, but you an also go to the market's website to find recipes for the other entrants.
Buttercup Squash, Chicken & Black Bean Soup
Submitted by: Shannon Meyer
My favorite fall-time, farmer's market, fresh soup!
2 Large Buttercup squash
6-8 Skinless boneless chicken thighs
1 Large onion
2 Bell peppers
1-10 oz Can black beans
1-32 oz Box, low sodium chicken stock
2 Cups water
2 T Cumin
2 T Chili pepper
1 T Black pepper
Juice of ½ lime
3 Cloves garlic
1. Peel and cut your squash into ½ in. cubes.
2. Place in large pot, on medium heat with stock and water.
3. Chop your onion, peppers& garlic; seed and finely chop your jalapeño(s).
4. Add prepared vegetables, chicken and lime to your squash stock.
5. Add spices, bring to aboil, turn down and let simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Add black beans, simmer for 30-45 minutes or until your vegetables are tender.
7. Remove chicken and cut into bite-size pieces.
(Add salt, cilantro or hot pepper for taste.)