El Meson and the Landscape Arboretum take on tapas this Week in Food
It's July in Minnesota. The heat index is high, the humidity is heavy, and the happy hours are abundant. Get the scoop with your Week in Food . . .
Enjoy some fruity sangria and be inspired to volunteer for Fruits of the City.
- What goes great with wine? Prizes! Be rewarded for your wine knowledge at a free wine tasting and wine trivia contest hosted by Steve Dahl. Spasso Restaurant, 6 p.m.
- You're halfway through the work week. Celebrate with happy hour deals on homemade sangria and Spanish-Caribbean tapas at El Meson. 4 to 6 p.m.
- Or make it a late night and hit the Herkimer's $10 after 10 deal--$10 for a burger, sweet potato fries, and a pint. 10 p.m. to midnight.
- Small plates: so tiny, so cute, so delicious. Learn how to make Spanish and Latin tapas at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. $45-55. 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Aside from Landon Donovan, there's no one we'd rather meet than the farmer. Join Red Stag's Chef Hauke for a four-course Meet the Farmer dinner, featuring Dragonsmith Farms from Barron, Wisconsin. Enjoy wine pairings made from sustainable, organic, and biodynamic grown grapes. $38. 5 to 10 p.m.
- Who doesn't love educational films? Voyage of the Mimi anyone? Visit Valley Natural Foods in Burnsville for it's educational film series focused on permaculture philosophies and practices for growing food in collaboration with the natural environment. Tonight's film: Permaculture Design. To register call 952-891-1212. 6 to 8 p.m.
- Start out the weekend with an air of sophistication (that's easy on your wallet). Try Sapor's $3 Sampling that offers $3 menu options, wines, and beers.
- Tonight is your night ladies. Head to Seven after 11 p.m. and drink free. Just don't end up on TMZ.
- Not only does Minnesota have good wine, it has raspberries! And music, and food, and free tastings and vineyard tours. Join Winehaven Winery for its Raspberries and Wine Festival, Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.
- If dessert is more your bag, join Chef Terry John Zila for "Summer Desserts," a class at the Chef's Gallery. Learn how to make orange basil sorbet, honey panna cotta with pistachio brittle, raspberry mousse napoleons, vegan chocolate cake, and lemon soufflé. $55. 1 to 4 p.m.
- Learn how to put fruit to good use. Join The Minnesota Project at the Lake Harriet Beard's Plaisance Pavilion for its Fruits of the City Gleaning Initiative. The initiative aims to fill the demand for fresh produce at food shelves with the extras from local orchards and residents. The program hopes to volunteers to glean the fruit from apple, pear, and plum trees. For more information visit www.fruitsofthecity.org. 12:30 to 2 p.m.
- Wash down your do-gooding with a cold beer at Granite City that will roll out its "Pride,"--one of its first creations. Mug Club members will receive a complimentary buffet with three varieties of flatbread pizza and Caesar salad. 4 to 6 p.m.
- Go to Hell: dinner, drinks, DJ's, and dancing at Hell's Kitchen. 7 p.m.