No matter where you stand on the political spectrum, we can all thank Ronald Reagan for declaring July National Ice Cream Month. Just when you thought your summer holiday festivities ended in a sparkly explosion, now comes along the perfect occasion to beat these 90 degree temps.
|Why choose only one flavor?|
1. Crema Cafe is scooping up all the flavors we've come to love, like Salted Caramel, Toasted Coconut, and Pistachio, but the holiday calls for something a little more unconventional. Give Chocolate Cabernet Chip a whirl.
To truly celebrate, we've rounded up a few of the best flavor combos from local shops to get you through the month.
|The perfect end to any brunch.|
2. No tour of the Twin Cities' ice cream landscape is complete without a stop at Izzy's
. Whether you're in St. Paul or shopping in Macy's on Nicollet, there's an Izzy scoop with your name on it. Praline Pecan and Norwegian Chai are perennial favorites, but you should also try Bananas Foster with a Mexican Chocolate Fiesta Izzy on top. Or, if you're really feeling adventurous, try a Mystery Flavor.
3. If you haven't been to Pumphouse Creamery
, which recently showed up in The Huffington Post's list of the best ice cream spots in the U.S.
, then you probably haven't had a chance to try their latest flavor. The Mango with Fruited Green Tea is studded with bits of dried rhubarb, strawberries, and raspberries.
4. Want to dress up your cone, too? Check out Sebastian Joe's
dipped cones. A scoop of Apple Crisp goes great with a Heath Bar cone, while Nicollet Avenue Pot Hole and a Swiss Chocolate cone are a match made in heaven.
|Kick up the flavor with a candy-coated cone.|
5. Still need a few more options to celebrate the holiday? Check out Edina Creamery's
Caramel Cookie Praline and Banana Nut Brownie.