Renaissance Festival to host historic cooking demonstrations
The Minnesota Renaissance Festival begins soon, taking place on weekends August 20 through October 2.
Minnesota Renaissance Festival Put down that lance and pick up a spoon!
For the history-minded foodie, Anjila K. Olsen, a.k.a. Alice the Cook will be offering cooking demonstrations four times daily at 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. at the Guard Encampment behind Mac's Pub.
Each weekend at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival is assigned a different theme and Alice the Cook will cook and lecture on a related topic. Check out what's in store:
Theme Weekend Demos:
· Italian weekend - History of pasta and how to make pasta from scratch
· Royal Ale weekend - How to make Shepard's Pie and Black Pudding (British)
· Silk Road - Curry Chickpea Stew, Samosa, and Chicken Tika
· Highland Fling - How to make Haggis (traditional and vegetarian versions)
· Wine and Chocolate - Pomegranate and Raspberry Wine Pork with Port Poached Pears along with the History of Chocolate
· High Seas - Historical Overview of how to prepare foods for long voyages: Salting, Smoking, and Pickling techniques will be demonstrated
· Irish - Farrells, Boxtys, and Lamb Stew