Beer Dabbler Winterfest tickets on sale now
An outdoor beer festival in St. Paul in January? What kind of craziness is this? It's Beer Dabbler craziness, that's what. This will be the third year for the annual event held in conjunction with the St. Paul Winter Carnival. To be sure, it's a frigid atmosphere for enjoying a frosty brew, but the deep-freeze actually adds to the fun. A deeper sense of community is formed as people brave the cold or cozy up to the firepit. The hardy, "winter be damned" Minnesota mindset has allowed the event to sell out each of the last two years. If you want to get in on this year's frozen fun, tickets went on sale today.
Get your cold on at the Beer Dabbler Winter Carnival festival
The festival takes place on Saturday, January 28, from 4 to 8 p.m. It is moving this year from its Mears Park location to a larger venue at the St. Paul Farmers Market. Tickets can be purchased right now online. They are also available at the Four Firkins in St. Louis Park or the Ale Jail and Thomas Liquor in St. Paul. They'll cost you $30 in advance or $40 at the door.
Taking a lesson from past events, the Beer Dabbler will open the gates at 3:30, 30 minutes before the beer starts flowing. That helps alleviate the long lines that have plagued Beer Dabblers past. It's also good to see that beer-event planners are figuring out that a lot of people drinking a lot of beer require a lot of port-a-potties. Press releases for the event boast "Thrice as many 'potties' as last year." Whew!
Here's some of what you can expect at this year's Winter Carnival Beer Dabbler.
- Home-brew contest - a BJCP sanctioned contest with prizes for style categories and best-in-show
- Lord Dabbler's Cup - award presented to the people's choice for best brewery, as voted on by attendees
- St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman's Annual tapping of the Beer Dabbler Oak Barrel
- A special release by Tallgrass Brewing Co., winners of the Lord Dabbler Cup at the Highland Fest Beer Dabbler last summer
- Live music throughout the event. Specific artists TBD
- Leinekugel's Silent Disco
- Games and contests
- A Jumbotron to stream a live feed of the festival and entertainment
- Some of St. Paul's favorite food trucks, including Fork in the Road, Simply Steve's, Gastro Truck, and more.
A Perfect Pint