Radio K's Top 77 albums vs. the Current's Top 89 songs of 2009
Radio K recently released their Top 77 Albums of 2009, a list compiling the best of the year in the opinions of staffers, DJs, and listeners. Ditto to the Current unveiling their Top 89 Songs of 2009 earlier this week. Like most people we love lists. Let's compare the two.
1. Animal Collective, Merriweather Post Pavillion (Domino)
2. Grizzly Bear Veckatimest (Warp)
3. Fever Ray, Fever Ray (Mute)
4. Phoenix, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (Glassnote)
5. Dirty Projectors, Bitte Orca (Domino)
Sure, it's a pretty good list, if a bit similar to others we have already seen. And yes, there are the usual suspects, as mentioned above. But also of note, further down are local bands including Lookbook, Brother Ali, P.O.S., Red Pens, and Eyedea & Abilities.
You can check out their complete list here.
Earlier this week the Current released its Top 89 Singles of 2009. Guess what groups made the top five?:
1. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, "Home"
2. Animal Collective, "My Girls"
3. The Avett Brothers, "I and Love and You"
4. Phoenix, "1901"
5. Grizzly Bear, "Two Weeks"
Similar no? Whether it's the repetition of airplay or an overlap in voters, it seems like the people have spoken, repeatedly, for the same bands. Locals on this list include Solid Gold, P.O.S., and Brother Ali. You can check out the Current's complete list here.
What are you top five songs and albums of the year?