Dave Grohl is the real deal. After spending the early '90s clocking stage time in one of the most influential bands of his generation, no one would have thought twice if he had shied away from the limelight following his Nirvana bandmate Kurt Cobain's suicide in 1994.
But instead, he did just the opposite: He formed his own band, Foo Fighters, that has since become so popular and prolific in its own right that it has long since grown out of Nirvana's shadow into its own hit-making force. Grohl, too, has become a more confident and engaging performer, winning over fans with his warm demeanor and natural charisma.
To say I'm a fan of Grohl's is a bit of an understatement. Anyone who follows me on the Gimme Noise Twitter account knows that even the possibility of a run-in with the rock star is enough to get me tweeting up a storm -- so much so that I started the #creepinondavegrohl hashtag at this year's SXSW. So consider this list an extension of my ongoing fascination with the Foo frontman, and a way for you to quickly glean some knowledge from the countless interviews and profiles I've read on Mr. Grohl.
He and his band will play the Xcel Center tonight.
10. He loves Bob Mould, and has jammed with him. "I was a huge Husker Du fan, and obviously Bob Mould's music has influenced the way I write music and the way I play guitar," he told Classic Rock magazine. "I had this song that I thought might sound cool if he sand with me on it, call and response, so I texted him and said 'Hey, do you want to come down?' And he did. We weren't really sure what we were going to do. I watched him play guitar and as I watched him do it I realised that I owe more to Bob Mould than to maybe any other musician. There's specific things that he does that I learned from him, not from anyone else."
9. While auditioning for D.C. hardcore band Scream, Grohl lied about his age (he was actually 17, but said he was 20) so he would be taken seriously.
8. He thinks he has borderline OCD. From an interview with Andrew Denton: "Well, ever since I was young I have been obsessed with music. To me it's like a puzzle. It's like a Rubik's cube. If I were sitting here talking to you and there was music in the background, I would kind of pretend to listen to you, but I would be focused on, 'I bet that's an 18 inch kick drum and that's kind of an interesting drum move that they have going.' It's a part of my mind that borders on having an obsessive compulsive disorder."
7. His favorite joke is painfully cute. "Why was six scared of seven? Because seven, eight, nine."
6. He still can't figure out why "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was so popular. From a Mojo interview: "Do I think it's the greatest single of all time? Of course not! I don t even think it's the greatest Nirvana single. And compared to Revolution by The Beatles or God Only Knows by The Beach Boys ?! Give me a break! Smells Like Teen Spirit was a great moment in time... but there's better."