Wait, R.E.M. was still a band?: R.E.M.'s breakup floods the internet with bad jokes
|Photo by Anton Corbijn|
- The Atlantic Monthly: R.E.M. Breaks Up: "It's the End of the Band as We Know It"
- Yahoo: "Cue the rapid-eye-mourning."
- From HolyMoly.com: R.E.M. Split up--Nobody Hurts: "News has just reached us that R.E.M. have called it quits after an astonishing 31 years. And while it's true we hadn't really paid them much attention for a while, it was always nice to know they were there."
- From the Pitchfork.com obituary: "For the past three decades, R.E.M. helped define 'college rock,' 'alternative rock,' 'indie rock,' or whatever your preferred nomenclature was.
- From, well, everywhere: "R.E.M.R.I.P."
All in all, joking aside, R.E.M.'s announcement has come as a sombre and heartfelt address to fans from a band that has meant a lot to a lot of people.
Oh and also, Michael Stipe posted pictures of his penis as part of a collage on his new Tumblr blog "Confessions Of A Michael Stipe." So there's that...
"Like" Gimme Noise on Facebook and follow us on Twitter at @gimme_noise.