Minnesota Beatle Project Vol. 4 track listing -- listening party this week
|Photo by Anna Gulbrandsen|
The grand tradition of pairing local artists and the Fab Four continues with the latest installment of the Minnesota Beatle Project. Volume four combines the widespread gifts of Trampled by Turtles, John Mark Nelson, Haley Bonar, Caroline Smith & the Goodnight Sleeps (above), Astronautalis (yep, his whiskey-soaked pipes are banging out "Back in the U.S.S.R."), and quite a few more.
Having heard the album, it's a varied batch of material. Special thanks to Van Stee's "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" for violently tipping the trippy scales. But as Reading Rainbow's LeVar Burton always says, "Don't take my word for it." Later this week, Icehouse is hosting a listening party for the album, so that everyone can get a taste before the December 4 release date.
Yes, head to Icehouse at 9 p.m. Thursday, November 29, to hear all 13 of these tracks:
1. John Mark Nelson - "A Day in the Life"
2. Haley Bonar - "Mean Mr. Mustard"
3. DeVotchKa - "Girl"
4. Chastity Brown - "For No One"
5. Trampled by Turtles - "Baby's in Black"
6. Van Stee - "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"
7. Halloween Alaska - "Misery"
8. Molly Maher and her Disbelievers - "Think For Yourself"
9. Big Trouble - "You Never Give Me Your Money"
10. Astronautalis - "Back in the U.S.S.R."
11. Caroline Smith & The Goodnight Sleeps - "Cry Baby Cry"
12. Mark Joseph feat. Reed Grimm - "Baby, You're a Rich Man"
13. Bloomington Jefferson High School - "She Loves You"
Here's a trailer for the album, featuring the aforementioned Astronautalis, who actually might be back in the U.S.S.R. right now if his Tumblr is to be believed:
This is a fabulous holiday gift idea not only because the limited release -- the CD is only 5,000 copies, digital and 2xLP (500 copies, 180 gram white vinyl) -- is a darn sight more affordable than the deluxe The Magical Mystery Tour vinyl reissue, but music programs in Minnesota public schools receive the proceeds via the comp's overseer Vega Productions.
In addition to the listening party on Thursday, which will feature an artist from the album, there are two more events scheduled in conjunction with Minnesota Beatle Project Vol. 4 thus far.
There's an in-store release party at the Electric Fetus on December 4. Also, Curtiss A's yearly John Lennon Tribute at First Avenue on December 8 -- featuring participating artists John Mark Nelson, Big Trouble, and Molly Maher and Her Disbelievers -- will also herald the release.