The 20 juiciest tidbits from Touré's new Prince biography
In three long essays, Touré explores Prince as a talented kid from Minneapolis in "Prince's Rosebud," a sex symbol in "The King of Porn Chic," and lastly a spiritual man in "I'm Your Messiah." In each of these extended chapters, the author delves deep into Prince's psyche through the accounts of people who were close to the icon at one point. From Prince's brutally lonely childhood filled with neglect, abuse, and constantly moving around to the star's feelings on race in the music industry, Touré's examination of the Prince's background provides readers with a well-rounded picture of the man as exactly that -- a man.
Touré does indulge in some pretty long tangents while merely skimming the surface of other topics, but the aim of the book remains the same, giving both basic Prince fans and Prince worshippers a well-versed account at the artist's life and motivations. The author's insider interviews, first-hand accounts, and astute pop-culture analysis make for an overall insightful, funny, and touching look at Prince that has musicians like Questlove and Q-Tip singing its praises.
We collected some of the juiciest, most intriguing bits of Prince-centric trivia from Touré's book for you.See also:
Ten Stories About Prince that are better than fan fiction
Prince reveals his "O word" in Billboard cover story
Weird Prince-themed merchandise
20. "Game... Blouses." It's real... sort of. At least, Prince is a damn good basketball player.
19. Prince's brilliance comes from being Mozart reincarnated. Obviously.
18. He's had his fair share of stuff thrown at him.
17. Including old chicken. (Seriously, who throws chicken at a concert? Come on guys.)
16. Prince loves to give baths. Probably more than he likes sex.