Willie Nelson is 80
"Me & Paul" (1985)
5. Willie's first "Farm Aid" concert, organized with the help of Neil Young and John Mellencamp in 1985, raised over $9 million for family farms. His pay-it-forward attitude got paid back in spades when in the early '90s, family farmers stepped up to advocate for Willie in proceedings related to seizure of most of his assets by the IRS. Friends held property belonging to Nelson that was sold at government auction, and returned it all to him when he was square with the IRS by the end of the decade.
"I Never Cared for You" (1964)
4. Fans as diverse as Emmylou Harris, Iggy Pop, Neil Young, Tony Bennett, Jerry Cantrell, Rob Halford, and SpongeBob SquarePants (yeah you heard us right) have sent Willie their birthday wishes on his website.
"Little Old Fashioned Karma" (1983)
3. And amid all that love for Willie, he's still helping ensure that love gets spread around; last week, he announced that proceeds from his April 28 birthday concert at The Backyard will be donated to the West, Texas, Volunteer Fire Department, as they help the community devastated by a deadly fertilizer plant explosion not far from his hometown of Abbott.
"Last Thing I Needed First Thing This Morning" (1982)
2. Lest we forget, a stoned Willie Nelson once challenged Larry King to arrest him.
"Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other" (2006)
1. And finally, thank you Willie, for blowing the lid off this one, because it's most likely true.
Bless you, Willie, and happy birthday!