It's official: Obama chooses Biden for VP, media is completely irrelevant (Updated with text message)
Forget being the first black president. Obama has already made history by creating the first leak-proof campaign.
As if to prove the point--or spike the football and do the worm in the endzone--Obama pulled the biggest hoodwink yet when the media fell for a phony Obama/Bayh bumper sticker and trumpeted the story, only to be undone when it was revealed that the actual vice president would be Joe Biden.
Well, I guess it wasn't totally leak proof:
Sen. Barack Obama has picked Delaware Sen. Joe Biden to be his running mate, multiple Democratic sources tell CNN.
Still, for this to be kept secret for so long is a real testament to Obama's campaign. Here's what it tells me:
1) This was a closely guarded secret that only a few people knew, meaning that Obama is not cut from the Bill Clinton mold of indiscriminite loquatiousness.
2) The people close to Obama are extremely loyal in a way that has not been seen in modern politics.
3) The Obama campaign are master media manipulators.
4) They are not above head fakes, jukes, and other such cleverness--did they actually create fake bumper stickers to throw media off the trail?
5) Joe Biden was lying when he said, "I'm not the guy."
Update: Here's the text message:
August 23, 2008 3:12:23 AM
Barack has chosen Senator Joe Biden to be our VP nominee. Watch the first Obama-Biden rally live at 3pm ET on www.BarackObama.com. Spread the word!